Pages

Monday 14 September 2015

Cross Country

One sunny Thursday afternoon after lunch, we all went to class and lined up. We all walked through the breeze to the court and sat down for cross country. Mr Burt said a prayer and a little speech and said "Champions never give up". It gave me hope. The year 1's went first and it was boring so me and my friends played a tweet. We played different hand games until finally it was our turn to run.

We all lined up along the line and spread out. Then, CLAP! The sound of the wood clapping together buzzed inside my head as I jogged to the first check point. I was as nervous as a new entrance kid on the first day of school. I could see that everyone was struggling to run because of the mud kept making them slower. I jogged and jogged until I suddenly got tired. I ran slower and slower until finally I was basically walking. A voice in the head kept repeating "Champions never give up". I gave myself hope and raised my chin high in the sky and pulled my arms away from my chest. I saw my friend running ahead of me so I caught up to her.

Mud was splashing on my legs like I was making grape juice with my feet. I struggled to run because the mud kept making me slow down. One lapped passed and we were still jogging. We got to a dry surface and we wanted to catch up to my other friends in front of us. We sprinted towards them and caught up but then they decided to ditch us and run ahead. I got tired so I stopped and waited for my friend to catch up. A few minutes later, she finally caught up and we continued jogging. The scene of the finish line sparked a light of joy inside me.

We sprinted to the finish line and passed it together. Joy was rushing through my body from my head to my toes. Miss Va'afusuanga high fived as and I continued. I was so happy that the run was finally over. I went to wash my muddy legs and have a drink of water. My friend and I high fived and each other. We said well done to each other and left. I left to see the left over kids run and we were cheering and cheering.

I was really proud with the effort I put into the run and I wanted to do another lap. Even though I was muddy, sweaty and tired, I really enjoyed the run and I couldn't wait for next year.

1 comment:

  1. This is amazing Kat! I am so proud of your word choice! You have really painted a beautiful pictures using your words for your readers to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.